On the Left
- Marihuana Warning Label Bills Pass Michigan House An article from Michigan Advance discusses legislation that passed the Michigan House of Representatives and warned women of the risks of using marijuana while pregnant.
- Shirkey says He's Open to Hearing on 'Red Flag' Gun Control Bills The Michigan Senate appears willing to schedule a committee hearing on new legislation aimed at curbing gun violence. The Michigan Advance carried the story.
Down the Middle
- Fix the damn schools, Michigan An article in Bridge Magazine highlights the educational deficits in Michigan schools and calls out to legislators to make it a budget priority.
- Time to close Michigan’s access gap to mental health services In a guest commentary, leaders of mental and behavioral health organizations express the need for addressing the unmet mental-health needs of Michigan citizens.
- Michigan Legislature OKs Changes to Medicaid Reporting Rules An Associated Press article in the Detroit Free Press reports approval of a bill to exempt some Medicaid recipients from monthly reporting rules.
- Michigan’s substitute teacher shortage hurts kids, says Up North supt. A opinion piece from Bridge Magazine highlights the teacher shortage issue in Michigan schools and the economic reality behind it.
On the Right
- Michigan’s Ineffective, Unfair and Expensive Corporate Handouts A blog published in the Mackinac Center for Public Policy points to business subsidies as “ineffective, unfair and expensive corporate handouts.”
- Renewables Get Far More Federal Subsidies than Coal Coal mined for energy produces more electricity in the U.S. than does wind and solar-generated power, but is paid far less in federal subsidies than they are, Michigan Capitol Confidential writes.
- Even Without 45 Cent Gas Tax Hike, Transportation Spending Up 58 Percent Since 2011 An article from Michigan Capitol Confidential concludes that annual state spending on roads has increased steadily throughout the years.